Monday, February 18, 2008

What do you do your first day in China?

Go to Walmarts...of course! Yes, even though we avoid Walmarts like the plagued in the U.S., it was pretty fantastic here. So familiar, yet so very different. I mean, do they have stalls in Walmart selling chicken feet? Endless rows of sausage hanging from the ceiling, a whole isle devoted to oil? It was a shopper's paradise and today, I even enjoyed Walmart. After a few hours and about 100 dollars later, we were in a taxi on our way back to the university guesthouse.

It is a big apartment; I suspect by Chinese standards a mansion...or just plain unfair. Two big bedrooms, a kitchen, living room, and dining room. Most would not care for our view -- of other apartments and laundry but for me and Jeff it reminds us of our days in communist Poland. The girls love that we are around the corner from a dozen or so noodle shops, across the street from the university and down the street from a huge park..complete with rides!

All in all, we can't complain..it did take us about 2 days to get here but we are here...w/out a doubt

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Glad you finally made it! Sounds like some trip...and to top it off with a Chinese Walmart. has it put the local vendors out of business yet? The noodle shops will impress me too! I hope you have the route to avoid the mud-pit road figured out by April!

Becky said...

I'm so glad you are made it and are now out exploring! I wish I was there!
So when are you coming home? Because my mom and dad have this plan to go visit in July after Mo's wedding in Chicago. Love you!
Becky