Saturday, July 26, 2008

On Returning Home

We have been saying goodbyes to lots of friends and familiar places. We've received more going away presents than we deserve and we are spending our days enjoying all of our "lasts"...our last kung pao ji ding (chicken with peanuts), our last hotpot experience (see Hana's blog), and our last visit to Xi'an historical wall.

After saying goodbye to some friends last night, we waded through a crowd of several thousand to find a cab. In the U.S., it would be like New Year's eve in Time's Square. In China, as our cab driver reminded, it is just a normal Saturday night. With cars, motorcyles, bikes and all vehicles bumper to bumper, we crossed several streets. The buses and cars honked while the throngs continued to walk, holding them up, forcing cars to the sidewalk. The sauna-like weather provided just the right touch to make it yet another surreal Chinese experience.

Where do all of these people go? How can they all be laughing and having fun. Families camped out in front of restaurants or on the corner, sharing dinner or a game of Majing. A toddler crossed the road in front of us; I grabbed his hand,looking for a parent. His father walked over and casually took his hand. No one else noticed, no one else cared.

As our cab driver explained that it was just another Saturday night in Xi'an, we went through our traditional story; was this the last time the girls would say how old they were, where they went to school, that I taught at the university?

From the window, we enjoyed the neon lights, pointing at the buildings we somehow missed before and remarking at how exciting X'ian and China are at night.

We so look forward to returning home,but in all honesty, I feel like only now am I starting to understand China, allowing myself the freedom of letting go, being more spontaneous, and learning not to take things and life so personally.

Tomorrow evening (it will be a long day) I will go to sleep in my own bed...there will be no construction to wake me up, no jack hammers, no cranes and no thick dust under my feet as I walk across the floor.

I will be happy and feel safe like I have not felt in many months...but I still will miss China.

No comments: