Monday, May 19, 2008

Chaos continues

Yesterday we returned from Beijing...we were tired by the time we got to bed. At 12 am we got a phone call saying that they expected another aftershock and that we should be ready to leave our building at any time. After an hour and a half we went back to bed. In the morning,we heard that the aftershock came and was a 5.4...but we felt nothing.

I walked the girls to school (Jeff is with his brother traveling around the southeast)...when we got to school there was a crowd and some kids were going in and others were returning with their parents...I let the girls go in to check.

As I turned around, I saw hundreds of eyes upon me; parents outside waiting to see what the official word was from the school authorities: would they cancel school or not?

I wish I had a camera. Knowing how much people love children here, having only one child and knowing what has happened just hours from here...the thousands of children who were trapped and killed from the devastation. All I saw were empty, sad faces looking at me, wondering -- I am sure --- what I was doing there and why had I dropped my children off?

The girls returned and told me that school was optional today..again...as there was another aftershock at 5.4..not far from here.

Today they are expecting/predicting yet another afterschock....oh well, life remains interesting...esp when there is a huge construction project behind our apartment and in front of it...hard to know where the shaking is coming from!!

1 comment:

Malia said...

Wow - hard to believe that the aftershocks keep on coming!! Be safe!! We miss you!!
xox