Thursday, March 20, 2008

A little homesick?

We are in a good routine; life seems almost normal now.

We walk the girls to school, we see the same parents going through the same routine, rushing kids to school, wiping their faces or buttoning up their coats. We are stared at less but receive about the same number of smiles and nods. We have grown accustomed to our hot oatmeal in the morning with hot yo-tou (chinese fried dough) as our pre-school chaser. Even the afternoons of badmitten, walks in the neighborhood or visits to the store are enjoyable, relaxing, if somewhat mundane. (We still do take notice as kids pee in the streets or something really unusual hangs in a window (like a duck head) but we feel comfortable and relaxed here.

This is obviously good; we feel safe and we more relexad.

At the same time, it means that our life here is much less of an exciting adventure. It's not as fun when kids still call out your name and circle around you, as they do with Julia, but you can't understand all of their whispers. She tells me that she hears "American" "American" in Chinese all the time. What could they be saying?
It is certainly not as cute when you hear echoes of "hello" "hello" "what is your name?" as you walk down the street. We know now that there is little sense responding because that is usually about all they know or want to say.

Hana admitted last night that she was starting to miss people. I guess when the excitement wears off, it is natural to miss your house, your bed, your grandparents, your friends...and all the familiar people and things that you take for granted.

I too miss seeing the faces of parents and teachers at Everett and the people I have come to love at First Plymouth. What I wouldn't do for a random hug from someone on the street or a friend to just call and say, "hey friend, how about lunch today?" "Are we going to the gym tomorrow?" What I wouldn't give for a bonding session with my sister or one of my sister in laws ....with a glass of red wine in hand.

I never thought that I took my family and friends for granted, but today I just can't help thinking that I probably have. I wish I hadn't....

We are off this weekend to a town called Pingyao that is supposed to be like a historic Chinese village...hardly changed or affected by modernization or communism. We shall see. We will experience an overnight train and I am sure many adventures.

Hope you are all well..!

5 comments:

pageworker7 said...

We miss you, too! I got a call last night from A, who wanted to invite you to a Polish Easter celebration. Went spinning yesterday. Had to talk extra to fill the empty space!
Are you celebrating Easter?
Kelly

Becky said...

As I have my first Easter without my family, I understand being a little homesick. I love and miss you guys and hope you had a wonderful Easter in China. Although you may not have been able to have Bobka bread and Borch (spelling??) I'm sure your Easter was fun filled with unique foods. Maybe next year you'll add one of your favorite Chinese foods to your Easter festivities and look back on this time. I hope we can talk on Skype soon. I want to hear about the language barrier and how the girls are doing at school! I love you all!

janaree said...

Patrice, see if you can get Julia to write more on the blog or to me personally at janaree.nore@gmail.com.

I took the new photo of Julia and Hana off the site and am taking an 8x10 to school to put on the calendar board. Can you put more pictures up?

Your writing is good, Patrice. I know you don't need that from me but it is very well done and not at all boring. I can see all the things you are talking about in my head.

As for mundane...just remind the girls that Mrs. Nore wears the same four tops over and over again and that the cafeteria serves french toast sticks with syrup for lunch (ick) and that all we do here is wonder when a better set of movies will come to town. There! That will cure you of thinking it is so great back here!

love to you all,
Mrs. Nore
janaree

Anonymous said...

As the weather warms I find myself wandering over to the house...but you're not there. There's a glass of wine waiting for you...I'll set a special bottle aside!-W

Malia said...

Hi sweetie... I posted a comment, but alas it seems to not have "stuck"! We miss you dearly. You are doing such a wonderful thing for yourselves and your kids. You know that... and you know that this small blip in your girls lives will have wonderful, long-lasting impacts.

Of course, I have a terrible need to "have lunch" with you (thanks to Skype) or sit down for a glass of wine... or take a walk... talk about the latest book we are reading... hear your stories about your experiences -- your students, your kids, your runs with Jeff... whatever and all. I miss it all and will relish your return when it happens, but for now, savor the days.

xoxox
Malia