Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Getting to Siem Reap

What Jeff failed to mention was our trip here..and how incredibly interesting it was...I will let the girls tell the story but in short, we landed at the border w/out a real appreciation of what the bordertown was like. After being ripped off by border police for our visas, we encountered the ugly world of taxi drivers. Almost 3 hours and many stories from our taxi driver, we did arrive at our cozy and truly delightful hotel. They greeted us with fruit drinks and smiles and frankly, I was happy the Cambodian taxi mafia didn't get us. I must admit that as we travelled thru the largely dark and very poor villages of Cambodia I wondered if again we had decided to do something totally, totally nuts. Fortunately, my in-laws were pretty calm and I told that driver I was about to vomit...which in a way I could have if the situation demanded. We'll upload some pictures soon. The city is truly wonderful and the people delightful...we are thinking that despite the gangs of taxi drivers and the truly scary begininng, we are not ready to end this adventure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you barf or did he pull over or whip out a barf bag or ... ?
Kelly S

Julie said...

So fun to read your blog! Hope that you will write more soon!---Julie

Kyle said...

How are y'all doing? Are Mom and Tillman still with you?