Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Communication in China

Yesterday one of my colleagues asked me how I was managing, how was I feeding my family? Given that no society has much patience for those who are both illiterate and mute, I could kind of understand her question and concern. Yet, I communicate a lot in China, as I do in all the places I have been and can barely say hello (I can by the way, say more than hello and Jeff and I have been faithful about listen to our language tape, having a tutor at least three times a week, and practising a lot. If I can use Chinese here, when will I use it?) At the university, my collegues speak decent English but elsewhere and other than "hello, what is your name?) it is a bit challenging finding someone who speaks English, especially in stores or restaurants. Grunting and pointing is always effective but by far the best way to communicate is with a smile. It is amazing how much I actually communicate with a smile. Children and family here provides many opportunities for discussion; yesterday morning on the way to school, I told a grandmother how beautiful the baby was on her back; at the girls' school, I hope all the kids I smiled at realized that I appreciated how cute they were and loved sharing this morning ritual with their parents (I am no longer teary-eyed when I drop them off -- it is starting to seem rather normal. Plus, sometimes I get to see them at noon so it is not such a long stretch).

No comments: